Journey to Bikini Jam 2007

Monday, July 24, 2006

What's your dream, beach baby?

Have you ever had a dream? When I was in grade seven I remember doing an assignment about what I wanted to be when I grew up. When I opened up my imagination I realized my dream was to be a model. This was a strange choice; I was a shy, awkward twelve-year-old. I had braces and barely ever even said Boo during class. My teacher smiled kindly at me and said, “I think you are pretty enough if you want to.”

I did want to, but didn’t know how.

Following that school year I was “scouted” by an “agency”. My parents would not come with me for the interview, so I went on my own. I was the only girl there without a parent. I went in front of the camera and smiled as I was told. When I phoned back, they offered me “discount” classes because they could see my “potential”. I realized this was a scam and once again, put the dream away. I focused on acting. I decided someone with a strange face like mine would need to have more talent than just taking a good picture. At least I thought my face was strange. I couldn’t see the bone structure and the even noble looking features. I wanted the button nose and blue eyes that I saw in the magazines.

When I was a teenager I thought I would get a nose job and boob job and head off to be discovered. The braces came off and left beautiful straight teeth (thank you Mom and Dad), reminiscent of Julia Roberts with a big, bright smile. I grew to a height of 5’9” and was naturally thin. It would’ve been the perfect time to try again. When I was 19 I suffered a huge blow. A close friend was hit and killed by a drag-racing car. The thing was we were crossing the street together at the time. It took me years to come back from that accident and when I did, I thought I was too old to pursue dreams of modeling or acting. I needed to “get real”

I got a diploma in communications, got married and had a baby. I have had responsible jobs, and done what I was “supposed to”.

Now I am going to do what I dreamed of. I am going to be a model.

I am down eight pounds. It’s been tough some days, but I will keep going. I hope some of you will come with me.

What’s your dream?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home