Journey to Bikini Jam 2007

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Words to dance by...

Music is powerful. Just a careful arrangement of notes can inspire, enrage, sadden or elate the spirit. It is some interesting to experience your own reaction to various music and songs. Whether classical or contemporary there is some beautiful music out there and I was thinking the other day as I drove home from work about the importance of music in my life. My daughter and I sing on the way to and from school almost every day (as long as I don’t have a really bad headache) and we both love listening to the radio, but what about more than that?

There will always be songs that will remind me of both good and bad times in my life. There are so many songs that have a place in my memories and each day I am surprised by the trigger caused by another one. Here are a few that stand out…

When I was younger I had my favorite kid’s songs, “Down by the Bay” and some French kids songs (L’Oncle Jules, Voyageur) recall days of splashed sunshine and playing outside for hours. We never had to worry about things like cardio or lifting weights then, exercise came naturally when playing hide-and-seek or bike riding to the ice-cream store.

The first few records I owned were second had 45s (remember them) from my parents. The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly and Del Shannon. One of my first new records was Michael Jackson’s “Billy Jean”. We also raided my parent’s LP collection, I remember my sister and I scaring each other with the spooky intro to “You Took the Words (Right Out of My Mouth)” by Meatloaf.

“Love Bites” by Def Leppard never ceases to bring back the flood of memories of my first junior high dance, and the older boy, Jared Segal, that also groped my butt while we were swaying in a circle. I was so nervous and not entirely comfortable, but what was I going to do at that point? My friends were all watching, so I let it pass. I remember him mentioning that I was trembling. My first dance with an older boy, you bet I was shaking!

During Basic Training the juke box in the mess had one song everyone liked – “I Guess that’s why They Call It the Blues”. I will always remember sitting in the mess with a group of fellow recruits singing along (very drunk and at the top of our lungs) to this Elton John classic.

“Sanctuary” by The Cult will always remind me of a much-maligned ex-boyfriend, Dan that had a cassette in his car that consisted entirely of versions of this song. Ian Astbury’s voice may be impressive but after the fifth version I was ready to hear something else. My very sweet first boyfriend, Chris’ anthem is “When I’m With You” by Sheriff. I often wonder about him and hope wherever he is, he is happy. He also has the distinction of sharing most of Metallica’s catalogue with the other members of the basement band I use to listen rehearse when visiting. Keith, still a good friend, has the honor of a few country tunes, including “Indian Outlaw” and “Devil went Down to Georgia”. Rich, another ex gets the unfortunate honor of “Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough”.

My own husband and soul mate has many, but especially our song from our dance at our social “Can’t Fight This Feeling” and our wedding song, “When You Say Nothing At All”, I also think of him when the song “Hero” by Enrique plays, even with all it’s over-wrought emotion and obvious cheesy-ness.

Music is powerful, just look at the use of music in movies. How many do not react in some way to the Star Wars theme? Emperor’s march (from Star Wars)? Superman theme? The heavy strings of Jaws?

Music can also be powerful in exercise. It can motivate (personal music), entertain (group class) and keep pace (spin class). Before you work out, give serious thought to what music motivates you. Think back to times in your life when you couldn’t help but move to the music. Put your favorites together. Who cares if they are recent or from High School. This is your personal soundtrack; you aren’t programming a radio station. ON my player right now is George Michael, Enigma, Kool Moe Dee, Justin Timberlake, King Floyd and Evanescence to name a few. Plan your workout to coincide with the music, start off slower, build, climax, then cool-down.

My current faves when the work gets tough? “Lose Yourself” by Eminem and “Bring Me To Life” Evanescence. Rocking tune that last one. It begs to be sung along to, as loud as possible. I will disagree with one thing - one lyric from this song is “Save me from the nothing I’ve become.”

Here’s a newsflash for all you other work-out mamas out there. You aren’t nothing. You are powerful. You are a mom. You are beautiful. You don’t need anyone to save you.

Repeat after me: “Screw it. I’ll save myself.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home